The national ethics shall be Discipline, Integrity, Dignity of Labour, Social, Justice, Religious Tolerance, Self-reliance and Patriotism.
(Nigeria as a nation, is to be guided by the following values-
- Discipline: the value attached to the obeying of rules or a code of behaviour; this value also includes the value of rewarding those who obey rules and punishing those who do not.
- Integrity: the value of being honest and having strong moral principles.
- Dignity of Labour: the value that recognises that diligence is good and all forms of work ought to be respected and treated equally.
- Social justice: the value that all people deserve access to wealth, opportunities, and privileges
- Religious tolerance: the value that recognises that all religious beliefs ought to be respected and treated equally
- Self-reliance: the value that recognises that individuals do not need to conform to societal norms but rather, can follow his or her own instincts, thoughts, and decisions.
- Patriotism: the value of strongly supporting, defending, and being devoted to our country Nigeria.)
SECTION 24 (a)
It shall be the duty of every citizen to –
(As Nigerians, we owe our country to do the following:)
abide by this Constitution, respect its ideals and its institutions, the National Flag, the National Anthem, the National Pledge, and legitimate authorities;
(Obey the constitution and respect our national authorities and icons;)
SECTION 24 (b)
help to enhance the power, prestige and good name of Nigeria, defend Nigeria and render such national service as may be required;
(Promote Nigeria’s reputation and power and defend the country if the need arises;)
SECTION 24 (c)
respect the dignity of other citizens and the rights and legitimate interests of others and live in unity and harmony and in the spirit of common brotherhood;
(Live in peace and unity with all others, respecting their own individual rights;)
SECTION 24 (d)
make positive and useful contribution to the advancement, progress and well-being of the community where he resides;
(Support the development of your local community;)
SECTION 24 (e)
render assistance to appropriate and lawful agencies in the maintenance of law and order; and
(Help government agencies maintain the law;)
SECTION 24 (f)
declare his income honestly to appropriate and lawful agencies and pay his tax promptly.
(Declare and pay the truthful and complete tax on time.)